They’ve been doing a lot of nifty slide shows at the Guardian. Here are four recent ones:
- British Library launches online newspaper archive
As you may have guessed, I love this kind of stuff. Unfortunately, the archive website’s not working—at least, for me. I click on links and get nothing but error messages. I’ve written to Gale’s tech support, but I’d be interested to know if the site’s working for other people, especially those in the UK.
- Article: “British Library publishes online archive of 19th-century newspapers,” by Maev Kennedy, June 18, 2009
- The archive itself: British Newspapers, 1800–1900, at Gale Cengage Learning
- Designer bookbinders international competition, June 25, 2009
The Bound for Success exhibition at the Bodleian Library in Oxford (until 1 August) showcases the 117 shortlisted submissions in the first Designer Bookbinders International Competition, in which entrants from 29 countries offer their interpretations of the theme of water.
- Wuthering Heights
“[A] look at how recent editions have summoned up the spirit of Cathy”: an assortment of covers for Wuthering Heights.
- Eighty Years of Book Cover Design by Faber & Faber
Article: “This time you can judge all you like,” by Peter Conrad, Observer, July 12, 2009