And attendance is the other 50 percent of your grade.

Free Hand Penmanship Series Writing Charts

Fonts can shape reality in intangible ways, as Phil Renaud, a graphic designer from Phoenix, discovered when he studied the relationship between his grades and the fonts he used for his college papers. Papers set in Georgia, a less common font with serifs, generally received A’s while those rendered in Times Roman averaged B’s.

—Peter Wayner, “Down With Helvetica: Design Your Own Font,” New York Times, June 26, 2008

Man, that’s why I got those B’s in college: Georgia hadn’t yet been designed.

(Thanks, Rose!)

. . .

In other news, I just registered for TypeCon again. Anybody else going?

1. Teh M1K3Z0R
    Teh M1K3Z0R June 27, 2008 at 4:24 pm |

looks like i’m out of that option to get an A based on Font, at my University most professors have it set in stone that times new roman is used for term papers.

2. J
    J June 27, 2008 at 7:27 pm |

I would laugh, but all my college papers were written in either Georgia or Book Antiqua, depending on how much padding I needed to make the page requirements.

3. George Smiley
    George Smiley June 28, 2008 at 11:16 pm |

TNR? Ugh. That is disgusting. I AM a professor and I’d never do that. Palatino or Garamond, maybe…

4. India
    India June 28, 2008 at 11:24 pm |

I honestly don’t remember what typefaces I used, and all my college papers are on a PC that hasn’t been turned on since . . . well, let’s just say that I don’t know yet if it’s Y2K-ready. I’m pretty sure, however, that said papers were written in WordPerfect, on DOS, and printed on a teensy little Canon bubblejet printer which, because I am a packrat with a large apartment, I still have.

Oh, and they were brilliant.

5. Moeskido
    Moeskido July 7, 2008 at 7:30 am |

My wife’s English-department papers at Rutgers were required to be uniformly set in Times Roman, in MS Word. Point size, margins, and leading were all specified as well. I suppose this facilitated word-counts for the TAs.

6. Dick Margulis
    Dick Margulis September 19, 2008 at 7:47 am |

Hmm. All my college papers were typed on an Olivetti Lettera 22. The prof didn’t have a choice.