The Charles Montgomery Burns Award for Blogging

Last week Stephen Tiano was so kind as to select this blog as one of ten he rated “Excellent,” as part of a pay-it-forward linky thing. Thanks, Steve!

I’m not sure I like the Enron-style logo for the project—

Excellent blog logo

—but I certainly appreciate the kind notice.

Some of the relevant sites that I follow have already been flagged for this thing:

I Love Typography
words / myth / ampers & virgule
Publishing Careers
The Penguin Blog

and I’ve discovered a few new ones by clicking back through the previous honorees. Yay! That’s the point.

But here are ten that I don’t think are duplicates:

• Cozy Lummox — Eric Skillman’s design process blog. Eric is becoming, like, totally famous.
  • Zina Saunders @ Drawger — Not only beautiful artwork, but also interesting interviews with artists and art directors
  • Right-reading — Tom Christensen’s eclectic mix of mostly book-related stuff
  • Smashing Magazine — Is it a blog? Is it a magazine? I don’t know, but it’s been really useful.
  • Bittbox — Strangely impersonal—posts are written in the first person, but I can’t figure out who that “I” refers to—but, again, who cares? Lots of useful stuff.
  • Copyranter — Possibly the only upside to the world’s being plastered with advertising is that it fuels a constant stream of criticism from Copyranter, much of which amuses me. (As a bonus, his office is somewhere within a block of mine—maybe in the same building—so I’ve winced firsthand at many of the ads he skewers.)
  • Coudal Partners — “If browsing around here while at work has had a negative effect on your productivity we’re sorry but imagine what it’s done to ours.” No kidding. I find it hard to believe that they’re actually a functioning design firm, with all the blogging they do.
  • Chris Glass — I don’t know how Chris gets any work done, either, but he’s got a great del.icio.us feed, and now also a glass tumblr.
  • Elisabethsblog — Okay, so it’s in Norwegian (how peculiar!); but most of the sites she highlights are in English, so just click each link and see where you end up.
  • Throwing Music — Totally off-topic, but as I mentioned over at Clusterflock, I am really in love with the writing of Kristin Hersh (of the bands Throwing Muses and 50FootWave, as well as a distinguished solo career). She sends out gorgeous letters to her e-mail list, too. Today’s was brilliant.
  • Clusterflock — Which it’s “a group blog dedicated to pretty much everything; by people you would like to meet at a party; . . . dedicated to culture: art, design, music, food, architecture, science, travel, movies, books, typography, politics, etc.; inclusive of geezers!; a delightful mixture of orange words and pictures of well, the insides of a stuffed animal—delightful all the same.” Something for everyone, though perhaps not all on the same day.

Um, okay, that was eleven. But this kind of thing is extremely difficult for a scatterbrain who has more than 400 feeds in her RSS reader. Ask me again tomorrow; I’ll have a different list.

1. Elisabeth
    Elisabeth March 5, 2008 at 4:10 pm |

Stephen was right. Your blog is definitely excellent! And that’s a lot of excellent links for one evening! I was supposed to work, but I can see that that is going to be a problem now that I have all these great sites to check out.

And thanks for mentioning my (norwegian!) blog. I guess I’d better come up with 10 links of my own now …

2. Sheila Ryan
    Sheila Ryan March 5, 2008 at 8:56 pm |

Huzzah! Huzzah! Huzzah!

(Which it’s “a group blog dedicated to pretty much everything . . .”, indeed. Say, how do you you think this would fly as a clusterflock question: “Aubrey or Maturin?” — which I suppose might be interpreted either as “Whom do you prefer?” or “With whom do you identify?” Either way, think enough of ’em would smoke it?)

3. India
    India March 5, 2008 at 9:52 pm |

Sadly, I don’t think I could qualify as either. Preserved Killick, perhaps.

4. ampersand duck
    ampersand duck March 5, 2008 at 10:07 pm |

CONGRATULATIONS!

And thank you so much for putting me onto Kristen Hersh’s blog. I’ve been a big fan of hers for decades now. Looks like I’ve got hours of interesting reading ahead of me to catch up…

5. India
    India March 6, 2008 at 2:24 am |

&duck: Since you like Kristin Hersh, you might be interested in an hourlong interview from last May that I discovered today. It’s available only through iTunes, and it’s not labeled there in any useful way, so I suspect that only people who live in Ann Arbor, Michigan, or hang out on the Throwing Music discussion forums know about it: WCBN Living Writers podcast, 5/30/07. I’d never heard her speak before, instead of sing; it’s amazing how much she sounds like herself.

Sheila: An awful thing happened to me this evening. I went to Wikipedia to check the spelling of Preserved Killick’s name (a consequence of “reading” the series as audiobooks is that I sometimes have bizarre ideas about how characters’ names are spelled), and in skimming the page my eye fell upon a horrifying spoiler! I was so upset. I am still upset. Now I want never to listen to the next book (I’m up to The Hundred Days). I don’t think I can bear it, now that I know that by reading the rest of the series, I will kill one of my favorite people. It’s a terrible curse to know the future.

6. Sheila Ryan
    Sheila Ryan March 6, 2008 at 1:27 pm |

My heart goes out to the Other Sheila. I go out of my way to shun anything that might give me a glimpse of the future.

7. Sheila Ryan
    Sheila Ryan March 6, 2008 at 1:43 pm |

Grief has seized hold of my wits.

Yes, India, you were addressing me. You were not, as my grief-addled mind would have it, quoting some Other Sheila.

8. A Terrible Curse : clusterflock March 6, 2008 at 1:48 pm |
  9. xensen
    xensen March 9, 2008 at 3:15 am |

Congratulations! And thanks for the nod to rightreading.

10. ampersand duck
    ampersand duck March 9, 2008 at 5:54 am |

[clasps hands]

wow, thanks. It’s like finding Anna Akhmatova’s voice on the web. That really blew me away.

11. ampersand duck
    ampersand duck March 11, 2008 at 6:30 am |

That’s a great podcast. She is one wild woman…

12. C.M. Mayo